Friday, October 9, 2015

Working With Ugly Carpet

There is a lot you can do with a little imagination and a small budget. But, sometimes there are things in a house that your just can't change. Sometimes there are things you have to work around.
For us, one of those things was the carpet. When we moved in, a little over a year ago, we knew we'd be living with the mint green carpet for a while.
Here are a few "before" photos or the carpet, with the seller's furniture.

Before

When we moved in the walls were all pink, and (as you can see) the carpet was an unfortunate shade of green (that my husband nicknamed "pistachio").

Before

There was a lot we could change about this room. We could paint, bring in our own furniture and add light. But, unfortunately budget restraints kept us from changing the floor.

The challenge then became to update the room in such a way that it would look like we meant to have mint green carpet!

The first thing I did was create a Pinterest board where I began to gather ideas. I searched the internet for color combinations that included mint green. I used everything from wedding cakes to clothing, as color inspiration.

I began to notice that mint green looked lovely combined with vibrant coral, or even red. Because red and green are complementary colors, I knew that they would look good together. But I wanted to add a modern touch too.



Knowing that grey is a very trendy and popular color in decorating right now, I looked for ways to incorporate it into the mint green and red pallet I was aiming for. Eventually I settled on a dark, warm grey.



















Our couch was brown, so I knew we'd need to get a new one. To help update the space, I looked for a trendy midcentury modern replica, in a dark warm grey tone.

I was so pleased to find this sofa at CB2 (an affiliate of Crate and Barrel).  Both Crate and Barrel, and CB2 are excellent sources for reasonably priced, midcentury modern inspired furniture.

avec sofa


I painted the walls using my two favorite Benjamin Moore colors, #925 (Ivory White) which is the perfect warm white, and #976 (Coastal Fog) which is the perfect "greyeige". We added 3 sun tunnels in the ceiling to bring in light, and started moving in!


We purchased the two accent chairs from the previous owner, and had them reupholstered. See "before and afters" here.





I found throw pillows in the perfect colors at Target, and added them to the seating areas.
I also purchased a trendy grey "poof" for extra seating, painted the fireplace and added large grey baskets as accents on the hearth (purchased at Target). 



Whenever choosing furniture for this room, I tried to pick items that where unique and/ or modern.  I also kept the color pallet in mind.


They grey coffee table is localy crafted and came from a local shop. Meanwhile, the large bookcase on the wall is mass produced, by Pottery Barn



I hung long red curtains on the sides of the windows (being careful that they didn't actually cover any of the window, to give the illusion of bigger windows and to maximize natural light).
Overall, we are happy with how the room turned out. Eventually the carpet will be replaced, but in the meantime, we have an updated and comfortable space to enjoy... even if the carpet is mint green!

Before

After
Thanks for stopping by!


Linking up to these fun parties:

http://www.simplysweethome.com/2015/10/friday-favorites-week-289/
http://chiconashoestringdecorating.blogspot.ca/2015/10/flaunt-it-friday-276.html
http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/creativity-unleashed-link-party/

4 comments:

  1. I think you've done a great job in this room. It's a lovely big space! I lived with a blue carpet for many years before we could afford to change it! We are good, aren't we, at making things work! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carpet looks so much better with the updated colour palette! I think a light, neutral, area rug under the seating area would really tie in the walls. Great job! #TipMeTuesday

    Elizabeth
    plantbasedbride.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Friend, You always have the best projects!!!The changes you made to the room have improved it so much!! Thank you for sharing at the Friday Favorites Link Party! Please join us again to share what you have been working on this week. Hugs - Christine at Must Love Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing with the modern touches! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...